PAST/PRESENT: CULTURE AND ITS INSTITUTIONS is a resource for
researchers, practitioners and anyone who is interested in how and why art and culture have been – and are – produced and promoted for the public.
We are interested in:
- the value of historical perspectives as a resource for analyzing and informing contemporary practice and innovation
- the explicit and covert objectives of cultural institutions in relation to the actual experiences of audiences, past and present
- the cultural, social and spatial ecologies of arts organisations
- changing concepts and registers of ‘cultural value’
- arguments for and practices of making art useful
Find out more about our research into these questions and ideas, and please join in the conversation.
Helen Rees Leahy
Institute for Cultural Practices
University of Manchester