Project: Researching the New
In 2014/15, three major capital development projects in the cultural and heritage sectors will open in Manchester:
- the restored and refurbished Central Library and Archives+ resource
- Home, a new venue for the organization formed from merger of Library Theatre and Cornerhouse
- the expanded Whitworth Art Gallery
Researching the New was a pilot knowledge exchange project devised to explore a number of connected issues emerging from these developments and their impact on the social and cultural geographies of the city. These included:
- processes and models of cultural and organizational renewal and innovation
- new and experimental practices of engagement with audiences, artists and stakeholders
- issues of sustainability in terms of programme, space and audience
- thinking about space as social practice
- the understanding and uses of history in relation to contemporary practice
Each of these themes was explored via a research process, which included both conventional methodologies (interviews, fieldtrips, literature review) and also less familiar approaches (film-making, an extended conversation on twitter).
Researching the New was funded by the Faculty of Humanities Strategic Investment Resource Fund (SIRF).